These slightly savoury, slightly sweet buttery biscuits are sprinkled with jeera or zeera (cumin) and are delicious on their own, but just perfect served with a chai as they often are in India.
- 220g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 360g flour
- 2 tbsps cumin seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsps milk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Put to one side.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, the cumin seeds and salt. Mix well. Then combine with the butter-sugar mixture before adding the milk.
- Knead the mixture to form a stiff dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 10 mins.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll the chilled dough to approximately 1/2cm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out small circles of the dough, and place on a lined baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the biscuits are lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before placing on a cooling rack.
- Serve with a cup of freshly brewed Kolkata Chai and enjoy!